5 empanada discs
5 cups spinach
1 cup chopped mushroom
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
pinch of sea salt
1 cup of shredded vegan cheese
flour for sprinkling onto cutting board
1. Start by preheating your oven to 375°F To a hot pan, add in the oil, chopped mushrooms, and garlic. Top with basil, thyme and crushed red pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes.
2. Next add in the spinach. When the spinach starts to shrink down, mix everything well and add in the cheese. Cook until the cheese has melted down and set aside.
3. Sprinkle some flour onto a large wooden cutting board and lay down your empanada disc. When using a pre-made or previously frozen dough, it tends to get sticky. This will prevent the discs from sticking to the cutting board.
4. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the spinach mixture onto the empanada disc. Do not overfill.
5. Next, fold over the disc in half to enclose the filling. Press down along the edges using a fork in order to seal it. If you're having trouble creating a seal, you can brush on a little bit of water along the edges before pressing down with your fork. Repeat this process for each empanada.
6. Next, transfer your empanadas onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Lightly brush on some oil onto each empanada and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven, allow to cool and enjoy!