Balsamic Guava glazed salmon
- 3/4 cup pink guava fruit scooped
(Tip: if you’re having trouble accessing fresh guava, you can substitute with guava paste. Try to get 100% fruit with no sugar added)
- 1 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- Salmon fillet (1 lb)
- 1.5 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large lemon
- 1 clove finely minced/crushed garlic
Optional for garnish:
- chopped green onion
- dried parsley
1. Start by pre-heating your oven to 410F. Next place your salmon fillet in a large bowl along with 1 tbsp of the avocado oil, salt, black pepper & about 1 tbsp of the balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
2. Next, chop your lemon into round slices. Squeeze the juice from one of the slices onto your salmon and set the rest aside.
3. Transfer your salmon fillet onto a heated non-stick pan with the remaining ½ tbsp of oil. Sear the fillet (skin side up) on medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes until a golden colour is achieved. Searing the salmon will help add more flavour and a nice colour, however, if you’re short on time feel free to skip straight to the next step.
4. In an oven-proof pan or baking dish, add in your lemon slices and place the salmon fillet on top. You may also add in some extra sliced pieces of guava. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.
5. While the salmon is baking, add your guava (or guava paste), balsamic vinegar, garlic and honey into a small pot on medium high heat. Allow mixture to boil while stirring often. Reduce the heat once bubbles start to form and allow the mixture to simmer for about 15 minutes or until the mixture is thickened/reduced. Set aside.
6. Take your salmon out of the oven, brush on the balsamic guava reduction and serve. Garnish with finely chopped green onions and parsley if desired.