Blueberry Almond Protein Pancakes
1 ½ cups (375ml) cottage cheese
1 ½ cups instant cooking oatmeal
½ scoop vega plant based protein powder (optional. I used vanilla)
2 tablespoons (30ml) natural almond butter
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 ½ teaspoons (12m) baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup (250ml) pasteurized egg whites
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup (250ml) blueberries
2 tablespoons (30ml) sliced almonds
Blueberry Chia Jam:
1 ½ (375ml) cups blueberries
4 ½ teaspoons (22ml) white or black chia seeds
1-2 drops of liquid Stevia (Optional. Depending on how sweet you want your jam to be)
Almond Butter Mousse:
1 (250ml) cup cottage cheese
4 ½ teaspoons (22ml) natural almond butter
1. Start by making the blueberry jam. Add the blueberries to a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until they are bubbling and reach a syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and mash the blueberries with a fork so that the mixture ends up looking like jam. Transfer to a heat proof container and stir in the chia seeds. Refrigerate until the mixture thickens (approximately 20mins).
2. Next make the almond butter mouse. In a blender or food processor, combine the cottage cheese with the almond butter until smooth. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
3. Next make the pancakes. In a blender or food processor, combine the cottage cheese, oats, protein powder and almond butter until smooth with some visible pieces of oats. Add the vanilla, baking powder, salt and blend to combine the ingredients. Add in the egg whites and blend. Do not blend for too long in order to avoid them fluffing up into a soufflé consistency.
4. In a large non-stick pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add ¼ cup (60ml) of the batter for each pancake. Add in a few blueberries onto each pancake. Cook the pancakes for about 3-4 minutes or until bubbles start to form and the bottom is golden. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Top the pancakes with a dollop of almond butter mousse, blueberry chia jam and a pinch of slivered almonds.